Solo:
A Star Wars Story
First View Review
by Z Factor
SPOILER-FREE
“I've got a good feeling
about this,” says Han Solo during an intense action sequence.
Surprisingly enough, I had a good feeling when walking out of the
theater. With all of the speculation and rumors, stories of a
troubled production, the firing of a director, re-shooting of the
entire movie, and all the baggage following the Solo movie, I
had a rather bad feeling about it. Not to mention the very idea of a
Han Solo movie made me cry out “Noooooooo!” The first trailer of
the movie made me laugh. I felt confident that this movie was going
to be a disaster and ruin the name of the legendary Han Solo. I was
sure that I was going to hate this movie, especially with my negative
feelings towards Rogue One and The Force Awakens. Then,
I was proved wrong, and I couldn't be happier.
I don't want movies to be
bad, but in assuming that this movie was going to destroy my
childhood, I was blown away. I believe all the credit should go to
Ron Howard, the director, who took over the project when it was in
the dumpster, and he successfully made a film that I believe is
better than Rogue One and The Force Awakens. Of course,
that's merely my opinion, and a position which could easily be
debated.
I enjoyed this movie, even
though I strongly felt I would hate it, and that is saying a lot
considering how stubborn and opinionated I am with regards to my
favorite space saga. So begs the question, what is the Solo
movie? Well, it's not a dumpster fire. It's certainly far from
perfect and I have my problems with it, but here are some of the
things it did right. From the screenwriter within me, I could see
that this film was very well written. In my opinion, surpassing the
writing of Rogue One and The Force Awakens. The
Force Awakens was a paint by numbers remake of A New Hope,
which infuriated me.
Meanwhile, Rogue One was a bland mess, trying to fill a “plot
hole” from A New Hope, with boring, flat, one-dimensional
characters, and shoehorning Darth Vader to appease the masses.
Solo, on the other hand, was able to successfully manage to take
iconic things from A New Hope (like the other two movies do)
such as the “Kessel run in 12 parsecs” and turn it into an
integral part of not just the plot, but the story, dealing with the
characters.
The characters were not
just archetypes or a bunch of cool adjectives slung together; each of
the main characters were fully realized, with their own motivations
and goals, their own pasts and reasons for their actions, and it
fulfills the story. The one character that I felt was lacking is
actually Han Solo, which is one of my problems with the movie.
However, the other characters, Qi'ra, Becket, and Lando, were fully
realized and interesting in their own ways.
The plot was centered on
the story of Han Solo and his journey as a character. Except, here is
the problem. If you take this movie away from Star Wars and any
connection to Han Solo, it would be an even better film, because
there wouldn't be continuous comparison to Harrison Ford's
performance of the character. Harrison Ford is Han Solo. No one else
would be able to capture that. And that is unfortunately the problem
with this movie, though it is a good movie. Alden Ehrenreich plays
Han Solo in the Solo movie, and though he does an okay job
acting in the movie, he doesn't carry the film. The film carries him.
One performance that succeeds at masterfully lining up with the
character of a previous film is Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando
Calrissian. He embodied the character and did an amazing job at being
utterly Lando. But, it is arguably much easier to act as Lando than
it would be at Han Solo, seeing as Solo has been in more films and is
such a huge icon.
While the movie was very
enjoyable and one of the better entries of the latest Star Wars
films, it's biggest problem is that it's Han Solo isn't Han Solo.
He's someone trying to be Han Solo. An argument can be made that the
Han in this movie isn't yet the Han we meet in A New Hope.
True, he's still a young man who will change as time goes on.
However, this Han is a morally sound person, though he's an outlaw.
This is an arch which doesn't come to Han until A New Hope and
yet we see Han in this movie clearly helping the good guys. The Han
in A New Hope only wanted his money. He didn't want to save
Princess Leia because it was the right thing to do, he did it because
there was a reward. That's why his return to help Luke is such a
significant moment in the story, Han choosing to sacrifice paying off
his debt in order to help the Rebellion. Yet the Han Solo in this
movie didn't take the money and never look back, he instead did the
right thing—this isn't a lesson he's learned yet. It's this
character inconsistency and the actor's lackluster performance which
makes this movie only good, instead of great. Though, it would be
impossible to make a great Han Solo movie without time traveling to
find a young Harrison Ford.
When taking a step back,
not looking at the ties to Star Wars, not thinking of Han as the Han
Solo we all know and love, but thinking of him as a totally different
character, then this movie is way better, because it can stand on
it's own two feet. This is a problem with Hollywood today. It doesn't
allow good movies to be their own, not attached to any franchise or
other popular property. Everything has to be recognizable, a remake,
reboot, prequel, sequel, and anything in-between. It was a bad
decision in the first place to make a Han Solo movie, and even more
films are going to come, such as an Obi-Won movie, a Boba-Fett movie,
and more. However, despite all this, I was still able to have a good
time watching this movie and that's not a bad thing. I'm very glad
they were able to turn this around and make it fun. I just wish that
same time, energy, talent and money, were put to more original films.
Do I recommend this movie?
Yes, if you're a Star Wars fan. It's a fun Star Wars film, and one of
the few actually good ones in recent years. If you're not a Star Wars
fan, you might actually enjoy it too, because it could actually stand
alone. It could have been an original, solo film, but instead it's
attached to the conglomeration of Star Wars.
-Z Factor


Cool. I wasn't going to see it, but now I will. :)
ReplyDelete